Skip to main content

Review: BREAKING FAITH by @HeyitsmeJoy #romance

Breaking Faith
Breaking Faith by Joy Eileen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Killer Characterization

I met author Joy Eileen on Twitter, where she seems fun and passionate. I'm not surprised her debut novel shares the same qualities.

Faith attends college and works at a coffee shop on campus when she meets hunky Jason, her "knight in coffee justice". Despite the niggling discomfort she feels in Jason's presence, they end up moving in together, and his control over her becomes complete. She tiptoes around trying to avoid his wrath, but he is the one responsible for cutting her down with his words and fists.

When she can't take it anymore, she escapes to meet her friends at a bar where a local band, The Jackholes, plays. Faith feels drawn the the lead singer, Killian. She jumps into help the harried waitress, in the process revealing her bruised arms (to her friends' horror). Kill gets Faith a job as server and a home at his place, to keep her safe from Jason.

Most of the time I dislike scruffy, tatted heroes, but Kill is a dream man. He's not a boorish alpha by any means. His reputation as a man ho goes out the window once he meets Faith. Faith can't deny her attraction to him, but is wary of getting hurt again. He had a sweet, vulnerable side to him he kept hidden. It was because of that side, I needed to avoid him. I already determined he would break my heart if I didn't stay away.

Their banter is hilarious.

We walked to a huge monstrous black truck. I had to practically pole vault into the cab. "Nice truck. Overcompensating?" I asked, glancing at the juncture between his legs.

Kill's laugh was amazing. The rumbling in his chest made my traitorous nipples harden.


Kill is spot on when he tells Faith:

"As your friend I have to say you have an uncanny knack for attracting the biggest poseurs, douche bags, and tools. You're like a beacon." Kill looked up to the ceiling as if he was praying for patience. "You know you look hot. It's like you added an extra strength light bulb to your douche beacon. Every douche for miles will be lined up."

The unresolved sexual tension between Faith and Kill about killed me. I grew to care about Faith and want good things for her.

I did have some quibbles about this book. It needs tightening of the plot and exposition. For how long it is, I expected more resolution of major plot lines. I don't mind cliffhangers but I think it would work better to include the excerpt of the next book as the ending of this one, to give readers some relief from the UST.

A fun, readable debut romance!

View all my reviews

Check out the Facebook release party--giveaways close August 21. 

Comments

Cherie Colyer said…
I haven't heard of this book before now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
This is the first time I'm hearing about this book. Very interesting! I loved the peak into their banter, which sounds really fun. Too bad there's so much UST in part 1. After 400 pages (in paperback), readers need at least something I think. Great review, Jennifer!